Friday, March 28, 2008

Gangs and Games, GTA IV

So after mailing off my bills at the Post Office today, I decided to hit up the local Gamestop and reserve myself a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV for the Xbox 360, available on 4/29/08. I have to say I am pretty exited to play this latest version of the series, but I have to admit, I wonder if a game like this will actually instigate more violence with local Gangs.

Now I see myself as a pretty decent citizen who can tell right from wrong, unfortunately there are individuals out there who just don't care about either. First off, I don't think that violent games alone are to blame for increases in violence, it is the job of the Parent to explain to their kids the difference between entertainment and reality, right and wrong. 

What makes me scratch my head is this, does playing a violent videogame like GTA IV make someone who is already violent more so?  Does it get their blood flowing in a negative way? Uptown is home to 5 or so Gangs that claim turf.  One of the goals in GTA is to claim and reclaim Gang turf.  Many of the "Gangs" in the GTA series are modeled after real gangs from real cities. If a P-Stone is at home playing GTA and "Killing off" Vice Lords, will this electronic experience actually help instigate a real life act? 

Unfortunately I don't think we will ever know the true effects of violence in games and other media on Americas youth. I just wish I could understand why as Americans we are so over exposed to violence yet we freak out about nudity. I think about this every time I watch CSI and they cover up a nipple shot, yet we get a close up of a slashed throat with blood shooting out. Boggles my mind!

1 comment:

SoL said...

had the same thought as I was playing some GTA San Andreas this last weekend (in preparation for IV)

It's a tough one and I think no one will ever know if violent games bread violent behavior