Friday, April 25, 2008

Halloween in April

You know that car commercial where they make fun of how right after you send in your last car payment, your car dies? It was on my mind yesterday as I was placing a newly charged car battery into my (recently paid off car) for the third time this month. Until I figure out what is freakishly draining my battery, I will have to continue this fuel cell dance; tighten the bolts, close the hood, turn the keys and pray. 

What the hell does this have to do with Halloween you ask? As I slowly made my way to Magnolia and Lawrence, my car was surrounded by about 10 or so teens ranging from 12-18 yrs old. As the group passed by me, the youngest of the bunch yelled something at me while flashing what looked like gang signs. This kid couldn't have been more than 12 years old and it made my heart sink thinking about what kind of future he will have, if any. Since I was the only car at the intersection I decided to keep my eye on the group for a bit and that is when I noticed one of the kids, who looked like the oldest, wearing the same hoodie in the picture above. Now, if I saw this article of clothing in the burbs I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but this is Uptown and I just got flashed gang signs so it disturbed me a bit. I could only imagine walking home at night being accosted by some dude in this get up. 

The group continued walking down the middle of the street as if they were letting everyone know they own it. After the 2 girls in the group moved to the sidewalk, the boys spread out Reservoir Dogs style and blocked any chance of a car let alone a cyclist getting by. It was kind of a weird thing to witness and I can only imagine what would have happened if I was still at my car, messing with the battery, as they walked by. I kinda wish I had been, probably would have made a more interesting story. 

Later on as I was driving south on Damen, with the group of kids on my mind, I almost ran over a guy lying on top of his bicycle in the middle of the road. It happened so fast, not a second before he was right behind me when he shot out in front of my car and, "WHAM." When I'm on my bike not much scares me more than the driver of a freshly parked car opening their door right as I pass by. I knew a guy a few years back who had his right nipple re-attached after a similar accident and I throw up in my mouth a little every time the image crosses my mind. Soon after making my FBI like swerve around the scene, it occurred to me, good thing I try not to use my phone while driving because I would probably be sitting in jail right now as my bloody car, with a dying battery, rusts in the impound lot. 

Wow I have a sick since of humor :)

2 comments:

Paw said...

You should've yelled at those damn punks to get outta the way! 'Damn punk kids!'

Butternut said...

I can't wait for the days when I'm in my 80's, sitting on the front porch of my earth friendly house, smoking the finest tobacco from Mars out of my holographic pipe, and yelling at the young whippersnappers to take their hover-boards off my lawn!